Military Church of St. Jan Nepomucký, Prague
In 1713, nuns of the Order of St. Voršila asked the Emperor for a piece of land, where an Imperial Hospital formerly stood, in order to build a church to add to their Convent standing nearby. The Convent stood on the land that is presently occupied by the Barracks of the Castle Guard in Prague.
The piece of land was transferred to the Order in 1719. A year later the construction of the new church began according to a project by architect Kryštof Dienzenhofer. After his death in 1722, the project was taken up by his son Kilián Ignác D., who made some modifications to the plan. The Church of St. Jan Nepomucký became the first project of this notable baroque-style builder. The construction of the Church was accomplished in 1728 and, after sanctification of Jan Nepomucký, the Church was consecrated in 1729.
During the rule of Josef II, the Church was closed in 1784 and served as a salt store. At the end of 19th century, the Church become a property of the military, and started to be used as a military school church to serve the needs of the adjacent military cadet school (at present the compound of the Ministry of Defence of CR). Following the political changes in February 1948, the Church was closed as a result of the disbanding the military chaplaincy service of the Czechoslovak Armed Forces. Later, it was transferred back to the ownership of the Prague Archbishopric.
Following a decision of the Prague Archbishop, the Church was conferred upon the Armed Forces of the Czech Republic (ACR) on 1 September 2001 to serve the needs of the military chaplaincy.
On 1 May 2002, the Church, in accordance with a decision of the Chief of the General Staff of ACR, was made a public place of worship, to remember soldiers killed in wars, and to pray for peace all over the world.
Ecumenical Worship at the Church - 20 January 2006
From the left: Defence Minister Karel Kühnl; Foreign Minister Cyril Svoboda; Lieutenant General Pavel Štefka; Office of the Government, Chief Ivan Přikryl; House of Deputies, Czech Parliament, Vice Chairman Jan Kasal at the Worship - 20 January 2006
Posted: January 23, 2006