History: MiG-21MF/UM Supersonic Fighter (Decommissioned in 2005)
This is a single-engine, single-seat jet supersonic fighter designed to attack air targets with rockets and guided missiles, as well as for air reconnaissance.
THE SERVICE OF MiG-21 AIRCRAFT IN THE CZECH AIR FORCE WAS TERMINATED ON
1 JULY 2005 AFTER 43 YEARS, AND THEY WERE REPLACED BY JAS-39 GRIPEN SUPERSONICS.
In limited measure it can be used against ground targets. A two-seat version of the MiG-21UM is designed for follow-up and advanced training of pilots. The MiG-21MF was developed as a universal type for both air-to-air combat and multi-purpose fighter-bombing missions with limited operation under adverse weather conditions.
It is equipped with the R-13F-300 engine with additional combustion, and with the RP-22S radar. In this version, the MiG-21MF aircraft were produced during 1974 and 1975. The capacity of its internal fuel tanks is 2,650 litres, but the aircraft can carry additional fuel tanks with a total capacity of 1,470 litres.
The guided missiles include air-to-air units of R-13A, R-60, and R-60MK of short range. The GS-23L cannon forms the basic equipment of the aircraft. For close air support the aircraft can be equipped with the UB-16-57 or UB-32A rocket launchers, air-to-ground rockets S-24 of 240 mm diameter, or bombs up to a weight of 500 kg.
In the 1990s, specialised companies of some countries developed modernisation plans for these aircraft..
Basic Tactical-technical Data of MiG-21MF
- Maximum cruise speed in low level flight: 1,290 km per hour (Mach 1.05)
- Maximum cruise speed in flight level of 11,000 metres: 2,230 km per hour (Mach 2.1)
- Maximum operation range with three additional fuel tanks (without weapons): 2,900 km per hour
- Tactical operation range - without additional fuel tanks: 370 km
- Tactical operation range with additional fuel tanks: 635 km
- Flight ceiling: 18,200 metres
- Climbing: 152 metres per second
- Engine thrust without additional combustion: 39.92 kN
- Engine thrust with additional combustion: 63.66 kN
- Payload of weapons: 1,500 kg
- Maximum take-off weight: 9,400 kg
- Weight of empty aircraft: 5,350 kg
- Wingspan: 7.15 metres
- Length: 15.76 metres
- Height: 4.125 metres