Garrison Command of Prague
The history of Prague garrison is closely connected with the military history of the city. Since the beginning of its history, Prague have fortified its limits against possible enemy attack. The command of Prague garrison has been set with establishment of permament army. The Prague´s Garrison Command has one of the longest traditions in Europe. Since 1621, the continuty of this command in Prague, the oldest in the Czech lands, and the garrison commander has never been interrupted.
The first commander of the Prague´s Garrison was Generalissimus Albrech Vaclav Eusebius, the Prince of Valdstein, the Duke of Frydlant. During centuries that followed, Prague has become the most important military garrison in the country and since 1918 it was a seat of central military authorities of independent Czechoslovakia.
After reorganisation on April 1, 2004, the Garrison Command of Prague was formed and moved to its new seat in Prague - Pod Juliskou.
The Command has assumed the badge, field battle flag and the honourary title of the Prague Uprising from disbanded 6th Support Base of the Ministry of Defence.
The Command is composed of the Guard of Honour of ACR, Central Band of ACR and the Military Band Olomouc. 3 minutes.
- Garrison Command of Prague
Released by: Ministry of Defence, Czech Republic - PIC MO © 2008
For www.army.cz edited by: Frantisek Bobisud; MoD CR, 2010